1. Verify product is plugged in.
2. Verify the dustcup is securely attached.
3. Turn the power button on in Vacuum Mode. Ensure the steam frame is not attached.
What do I do if my unit is not producing steam?
Verify all of the following have been done:
1. Verify product is plugged in.
2. Verify water tank is full.
3. Verify steam frame and Premium cleaning pad are attached to the bottom of the unit, securing the magnetic connection to the bottom of the vacuum. The red indicator light will turn on.
a. NOTE: You should be able to lift the Vac-Then-Steam® off the floor and the steam frame and pad stay securely attached. If they do not, attach steam frame and pad to the bottom of the frame.
b. NOTE: the steam frame has a rounded edge that sticks out on one edge. This round edge is the back of the steam frame.
4. Slide toggle switch to expose the steam power button. Turn the steam power button to the ON position. Tilt handle back to activate steam.
What do I do if my vacuum does not have enough suction power?
Verify all of the following:
1. Dustcup is emptied and securely attached
2. Dustcup and post-motor filters are clean and dry
3. Dustcup and post-motor filters are replaced correctly.
4. Clean out the inside of the cone shape area in the dustcup. This happens by removing the dustcup filters from the top. Rinse out any residual debris that may be stuck inside the cone area on the inside of the dustcup. Dry the dustcup and replace the filters. Reattach the clean and dry dustcup.
I see that debris is stuck on the inside of the cone insert, which is inside the dustcup. How can I access it to clean it out?
You can clean the cone insert inside the dustcup. Remove the dustcup and the dustcup filters from the top. You should be able to see inside the cone once the top of the dustcup and the filters are removed. Rinse out any residual debris that may be stuck inside the cone area. Dry the dustcup, replace the filters inside the top frame, and attach the top of the dustcup. Reattach the assembled, clean and dry dustcup.
How do I clean and/or replace the dustcup filters?
1. Remove the dustcup from the Vac-then-Steam.
2. When you hold the dustcup and look at the top, there should be two dustcup filters layered on the top.
3. Remove the two dustcup filters.
4. Rinse the filters under running water until the water runs clear.
5. Squeeze excess water out of the filters and let air dry for 24 hours.
6. Replacement filters have been provided so you can keep cleaning while the original filters are drying.
7. To replace, the insertion order of the 2 filters is important to maximizing the performance of your cleaning system.
a. Place the thin filter in the top cover 1st.
b. Follow by the thick filter being on the top.
c. These filters should not be switched. The thin filter should always be on the bottom and thick one should always be on the top.
8. Reattach the top of the dustcup with the clean, dry filters back onto the top of the dustcup.
9. Secure onto the body of the Vac-Then-Steam® until you hear a click. The click assures you the dustcup is attached.
How do I clean and/or replace the post-motor filter?
1. The post motor filter cover is located where you see the oval Shark logo under the power switch.
2. Twist the Shark logo knob on the post-motor cover counter-clockwise to release cover.
3. Use both hands to grip cover on both sides and pull cover toward you.
4. Gently peel the filter off the inside of the cover.
5. Thoroughly rinse the filter in warm water. Squeeze out excess water. Air dry for 24 hours before reusing.
6. Insert a dry filter into the inside of the cover.
7. Snap cover onto the Vac-Then-Steam®.
8. Twist the Shark logo knob clockwise to secure cover.
How do I know if the dustcup is full?
The dustcup is clear so you can visually see when it is full to the MAX fill line. You may also experience a reduced suction power that may be corrected if you empty your dustcup and rinse and dry the dustcup filters.
How do I know if the water tank is empty?
1. Check the water level in the tank window. Fill when water level is not visible or appears lower than desired.
2. The product will stop making steam when the water tank is empty.
3. Water tank can be filled any time.
The Vac-Then-Steam® feels too tall / too short. How do I adjust the height? The cleaning system has a telescopic handle on the pole to adjust the height of the unit. Lift the lever to release, adjust the pole to the desirable height, and push the release lever back down into the locking position.
The Vac-Then-Steam® is hard to push/pull. Is there any way to make it easier?
1. In vacuum mode, brush off debris that may be visible in the wheels.
2. In the steam mode, change the pad if it is too wet or dirty.
3. In either the steam or vacuum mode, adjust the height of the pole with the telescopic lever. Often, increasing the height of the pole will improve the push/pull feel.
How do I attach the steam pads to the unit?
1. Attach the Velcro side of the pad to the attachment side of the steam frame.
2. Line the Velcro attachment side and points on the pad to the connection points on the bottom of the steam frame. Note the rounded edges go to the back of the cleaning unit.
3. Place the pad and steam frame on the floor, with the magnetic side of the steam frame facing upward.
4. Lift the Vac-Then-Steam® unit on top of the magnetic connection points, with the rounded edge of the steam frame positioned to the back of the unit.
5. Listen for click to ensure a secure connection is achieved between the pad/steam frame and the cleaning system.
How do I use the scent included with my product?
1. Apply 1-2 mists on the Velcro side of the pad.
2. Attach the pad to the bottom of the steam frame, and affix the steam frame with pad to the bottom of the cleaning system.
3. Turn the steam mop mode, wait 30 seconds, and steam mop your hard floors as usual with the enjoyable Fresh Breeze scent filling your home while you clean.
Can I wash the pads as I normally would, even if I applied the scent?
You can wash as you normally would, but we do suggest that you wash separate from other laundry to avoid transferring the scent.
What should I do if I spilled the fragrance?
Pick it up immediately completely with a damp rag. If the fragrance is left on a surface for an excessive amount of time, it can remove the finish from a hard floor surface or cause discoloring.
What do I do if I see steam moisture in the dust cup?
Allow the product to dry by removing the dustcup and allowing the product to dry. Steam will not harm the product, but inside the cleaning system will catch dirt and debris inside the suction path - inhibiting dirt to travel all the way to the dustcup. To reduce this occurrence, wait at least 2 minutes after steam mopping before vacuuming another area of your home.
Dirt and debris fall out of the bottom of the product after I remove the steam frame. What do I do?
Over time, some dirt may build up at the entrance to vacuum path on the bottom of the vacuum. Often you can just let it dry, tap the dry debris out of the vacuum, and use the vacuum to suck up the particles. This time, it should go up the airpath to the dustcup if the insides of the vacuum are dry. Alternatively, you can use a sponge to clean the vacuum entrance. There are no moving or electrical parts in this area.
What are tips for cleaning and maintenance on my Vac-Then-Steam®?
1. Tap water is acceptable to use, but distilled water is best
2. Clean pads after each use
3. Empty dustcup after each use
4. Rinse and dry dustcup filters every month. Rinse and dry filters more frequently during excessive use scenarios, such as when the dustcup has been used for a very large mess pickup, when the dustcup has over filled with dust and debris, or if you experience a reduced vacuum performance.
5. Rinse and dry post motor filter every 6 months.
6. After steaming your floor, allow the product to completely stop steaming (1-2 minutes) before removing steam frame.